Important Updates: Click here for CORONAVIRUS/COVID-19 information


Household Hazardous Waste Disposal

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) includes products used to clean your home or chemicals that are considered fuel. They require special handling at the disposal facility and should NEVER be placed in the regular trash or recycle bins.

The following are examples of HHW:

  • All acid based chemicals
  • Ethylene glycol
  • Old gasoline, kerosene, paint strippers, and lamp oil
  • Latex and oil-based paints (unless you let the paint harden in cans and then dispose of in the regular trash bin)
  • Household cleaners
  • Used oil and oil filters
  • Fertilizers
  • Pesticides and herbicides
  • Auto batteries
  • Small quantities of mercury
  • Other flammable household liquids


Residents are encouraged to use the Curbside HHW Collection Program by contacting Burrtec at (760) 340-2113 or their website to schedule a pick-up. Simply place the materials in a secure location not accessible to the general public until collection day. Collections are limited to four (4) per calendar year, and  items cannot exceed 15 gallons or 125 lbs. per pick up. Smaller items must fill a 13"x15" box (mixed materials acceptable) to be eligible for pick-up.  NOTE: Explosives, radioactive, or biomedical waste are not acceptable (for information on sharps disposal click here).


Palm Desert businesses that generate small quantities of hazardous waste (up to 27 gallons or 220 lbs. or 2.2 lbs of extremely hazardous waste per month) are considered Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQG). Qualifying businesses simply contact the CESQG hotline at (800) 952-5566 to schedule an appointment to drop-off their hazardous waste (to include U-Waste and E-Waste) to the City’s HHW facility located at 41-800 Corporate Way in Palm Desert. The City pays for the first $300.00 of disposal costs annually for qualifying businesses and verification of business location is required (e.g. a City business license).  NOTE: Explosives, radioactive, or biomedical waste are not acceptable.

Please contact the Public Works Department at (760) 776-6450 or for more information.