The 2016 California Green Building Standards Code requires projects to recycle and/or salvage for reuse a minimum of 65% of the non-hazardous construction and demolition debris, or meet local construction and demolition waste management ordinance, whichever is more stringent.
The following is a partial list of acceptable materials that are recyclable:
- Appliance such as stoves, refrigerators, sinks, toilets, bathtubs, and similar type items
- Drywall, plaster
- Greenwaste/Woodwaste such as clean wood, dimensional lumber, fence boards, pallets, etc.
- Paving materials including asphalt, cinder blocks, bricks, concrete, and clay tile.
- Metals such as aluminum, copper, brass, steel, and metal roofing.
- Roofing materials
Hauling of debris can ONLY be done by:
- Contractor - contractor can haul their own debris if using their own equipment and own employees.
- City's Franchise Waste Hauler, Burrtec Waste and Recycling Services - (760) 340-2113
Disposal costs can be reduced if recycling materials is done. For more information on recycling, contact Renado Goudlock of Burrtec Waste and Recycling Services at (760) 578-5236.
Please call the Public Works Department for additional information at (760) 776-6450, or email PublicWorks@cityofpalmdesert.org.