Important Updates: Click here for CORONAVIRUS/COVID-19 information



Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Entering Intersection or Marked Crosswalk 22526(a) CVC-Notwithstanding any official traffic control signal indication to proceed, a driver of a vehicle shall not enter an intersection or marked crosswalk unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection or marked crosswalk to accommodate the vehicle driven without obstructing the through passage of vehicles from either side.

Some problem intersections are:

  • W/B Fred Waring Dr. x Cook St. (Morning)
  • E/B S.R. 111 x Fred Waring (Morning and Early Evening)
  • E/B S.R. 111 x Portola Ave. (Morning and Early Evening)
  • N/B S.R. 74 x El Paseo (Early afternoon and Early Evening)

Gridlock occurs when there is congested traffic at or near an intersection. Motorist will enter the intersection on a green signal and because the flow of traffic in front of them is slowed or stopped, they have no choice but to remain within the intersection with no avenue of escape when the signal turns red. This causes "Gridlock" because the cross traffic cannot proceed until the intersection is clear.

When a motorist has a green signal and traffic is congested, it is required that motorist stop at the limit line prior to entering the intersection and only when there is room on the other side of the intersection for the motorist. This practice should alleviate any problems with gridlock.