Important Updates: Click here for CORONAVIRUS/COVID-19 information


Types Of Code Violations

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Our neighborhoods are the environment in which we live and raise our families.  Blight and nuisances can devalue, detract, and degrade the quality of any neighborhood.  Recognizing the importance of protecting the home environment, the City has adopted codes that govern the use and maintenance of private property.

While many of the City's codes deal with private residential property, there are codes that regulate the condition of commercial properties as well.

Here are some examples of the types of problems that the Code Enforcement Division can handle. 

  • Trash and debris - Any accumulation of garbage, trash, appliances, old furniture, or scrap material must be removed from the property. 
  • Inoperable vehicles on private property - Cars and trucks that are not in running condition must be parked in an enclosed garage. 
  • Parking - You may not park your campers, trucks, boats, or RV's in your driveway or on the street unless you have a Recreational Vehicle Permit.  Vehicles exceeding 10,000 lbs GVWR may not be parked on residential property.
  • Home operated businesses - Some home businesses that do not generate customer traffic, noise, or have visible storage of material may be allowed under a Home Based Business Permit.  Other types of businesses that disrupt the neighborhood are not allowed. 
  • Garage sales - Two garage sales per calendar year lasting no more than 3 days are allowed.  A permit is required, but signs advertising the sale may not be placed in the public right of way.
  • Vacant Lots - Tall dry grass or dead vegetation may pose a fire hazard and must be cleared.
  • Property Maintenance - Properties shall be maintained in reasonable consistency and compatibility with the maintenance standards of adjacent properties. 
  • Animal Control - Riverside County Department of Animal Services is a local contractor that addresses all animal related issues within the City. Some examples of services that are provided include: animal care questions, dog licensing, barking dog problems, loose dogs in public places, and owners not cleaning up after their animals. The City provides cat traps for residents free of charge. For any questions relating to animal care, dog licensing, cat traps or to file an animal complaint, please call Riverside County Department of Animal Services at (760) 343-3644.

Your valuable tax dollars are at work, and we want to expend our resources appropriately and efficiently. There are some neighborhood problems that do not fall under our jurisdiction.  In general, we can act on behalf of the public at large, but we cannot take action on behalf of one citizen against another. The City does not handle neighbor disputes or civil problems that do not violate public law.

Often a neighbor's tree or other plantings may drop leaves or debris in your yard, or may cause damage to a fence or other structure.  Irrigation water may also run from one property on to another.  These conditions are private matters between the two property owners, and the City has no jurisdiction.