The Planning Division implements the policies and objectives of the community that are set forth in the City of Palm Desert's General Plan, Zoning Ordinance, and Specific Plans. The Planning Division also reviews new development proposals to ensure that the City's design and development standards, and goals and policies, are executed in the development of the City. Specific goals identified in the General Plan include:
- Transformation of the Highway 111 corridor into a mixed-use urban center.
- Development of new and mixed-housing neighborhoods near the Universities.
- Ensuring a broad housing mix is provided in the City that can accommodate a range of incomes and lifestyles.
- Complete/living streets that are highly connected and can safely and equitably accommodate vehicles, transit, non-motorized transportation options, and pedestrians
- Health and wellness that promotes active lifestyles through the use of healthy community design.
- Preservation of the environment and the City's mountainous backdrop.
- Increased community safety by identifying natural and human-caused hazards.
In addition, the Planning Division manages the City’s Residential Projects and Non-Residential Projects. For more information regarding planning, the General Plan, land use and zoning, you may contact us online or call us at 760-346-0611 ext. 483. Staff is available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to answer questions and assist with applications.